I rarely make resolutions. Instead I opt for a simple set of rules* to frame my world for the year ahead. They can be simple or as complex as needed but I typically don’t set more than five. Any more and you risk complicating the process and forgetting more than you remember. A few rules role over from year to year. A few get trashed and a few get added. Simple as that. Here is what I have jotted down for this year:
- two items subtracted for every one item added to the closet. (Items must be the same category- buy a dress and two dresses have to go). This format has served me well for several years now.
- Less impulse. More anticipation. (Isn’t the real fun of Christmas wondering what you are going to get?)
- Move body (exercise, walking, dancing, skipping, crawling around pretending to be a tiger while my toddler son rides on my back, whatever).
- write down memories (or video them)
- shoot the everyday (it’s often the candids that mean the most)
*rules are made to be broken.